Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Method to My Madness (and Posts)

                Every so often, someone will post that I am on Facebook quite a lot. That is both true and false. With that in mind, I thought I would jot down some quick thoughts how I view things, what makes the cut and what gets passed by.

                First of all, I glean a lot of the quotes I use off of Twitter. These 140 character snippets are clear and concise enough to get a good thought across. I strive to credit both the person being quoted and if I picked up the quote via a friend’s feed I will give them a shout out as well. (I think it is good to let the people on your Friend List know if you got something cool from them.)

                Since Twitter posters will use a massive amount of abbreviations in some of their posts, I will try to clean them up to read well on Facebook. Hash tags are normally removed. Abbreviated words are spelled out. If there are links, I will include them as well.

                I make use of a “cloud based” scheduling program called HootSuite to schedule my posts to Facebook. (You can also use this to post to Twitter.) This allows me to schedule 12 posts to my Facebook page each day at two hour intervals. (1:50 AM; 3:50 AM; 5:50 AM; 7:50 AM; 9:50 AM; 11:50 AM; and then the same intervals for the PM hours.)

1:50 AM is normally a funny post. (Darth Vader; The Batman; Jim Gaffigan; etc.)

                Why a funny post? Because I like to laugh, smile and sometimes be a little snarky. So pop music icons (or those experiencing 15 minutes of fame) will get mocked.

3:50 AM will either be a funny post or serious item. It all depends on what has my attention.

1:50 PM is becoming the regular slot for the Twitter feed of the Church Curmudgeon. I like him.

                The other time slots will usually be a Christian quote or challenge of some sort. You will usually find some parody slots like Tim Gandalf Keller mixed in the day as well. I do try to use only one quote per day by any one person. You can tell who my favorites are: C.S. Lewis; Charles Spurgeon; Tim Keller; John Piper; Tullian Tchivijian; Kevin DeYoung; A.W. Tozer; J.C. Ryle and some others.

                Once or twice a day, I will check 22 Words for something cute along with a demotivational poster generator plus Facebook. Normally, I will not link these through HootSuite, but rather place this on my Wall immediately by using +AddThis or by using the “Share” button on Facebook. Once again, if I use the “Share” button, I will normally try to give a shout out to whoever I got the item from. (I know I smile when I see that someone will credit me with something they think if proper enough to share.)

                That is a simple explanation for how I share items on Facebook. Take care and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment