Monday, July 30, 2012

Use A Real Example

It is July 30th; I should be working on newsletter items since the 31st is the end of the month plus an out of town ministry day in Topeka. I am putting off what I should be doing so I can vent for a moment.

My vent has nothing to do with the Chick-fil-A uproar, no mention of the 2012 Olympics, no thoughts on the 2012 Presidential Campaign or the movie theater shooting in Colorado. Not a thing on any pressing news item. My “eye rolling” vent today comes from a Facebook group that I am a part of and their silly example of church appropriate music.

One of the posters was whining about “we too often co-opt worldly music in order to bring people into church” and gave this as his example:




Really?

Really?

This man bemoans a Rap Song that is designed to be part of a commercial plug for “Back To Church Sunday” as his example of worldly in music in church. Grant it, the tune is miserable but it is a parody piece.

In response, I posted this:


Lecrae’s “Beautiful Feet” which tells the story of God’s saving power through Jesus Christ and how we are to go out into our world.

Now, I have been criticized for making fun of badly written and performed Christian music before. I will probably take some flak over this as well, but we need to be informed enough to make wise choices in the world where we Christians are called to represent Christ.

We need to know the difference between good Christian songs and poor Christian songs just as we need to have discernment over good theology or bad theology. This discernment is made possible by knowing the Word of God which takes time to read and study. This discernment is also made possible by having a group of people who understand different genres than you do. (If I have a question, I go to one of my Christian friends who are experienced in that area.)

So in closing, I will default to one of my favorite passages in the New Testament:

(1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 NASB)  "But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; {22} abstain from every form of evil."

No comments:

Post a Comment